Workplace ergonomics is an important part of your company's commitment to providing a safe place of work for your employees. The science of ergonomics involves a systematic process to reduce ergonomic risk factors contributing to painful and costly musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs).
In fact, the value of ergonomics goes well beyond injury prevention. Ergonomics also has a positive impact on production and quality; two important factors in the overall success of your company. Done well, an ergonomics improvement process can be a key contributor to your company's competitiveness in the marketplace.
But where do you get started? What are other companies doing with respect to ergonomics and what do their results look like? How can you find the time and resources to execute this process at your facility?
These are some of the questions you may be asking about ergonomics. We've put together this 8-part tutorial to help you answer these questions (and more) and to help you get your ergonomics process off the ground.
Workplace Ergonomics 101
Ready to get started? Here is your free, 8-part workplace ergonomics tutorial.
- Why Ergonomics? Why Prevention?
- 5 Proven Benefits of Workplace Ergonomics
- Workplace Ergonomics: What Success Looks Like & How to Get There
- The Ultimate Guide to Workplace Ergonomics
- Why Ergonomics & Wellness Programs are a Powerful Match
- How to Get More Support for Your Ergonomics Process
- The 10-Step Workplace Ergonomics Checklist
- Workplace Ergonomics Quiz: How much do you know about Ergonomics at Work
About the author: Mark Middlesworth is the president and founder of Ergonomics Plus.
The Ergonomics Improvement Process
If you just finished reading the Workplace Ergonomics 101 series, you have an understanding of how ergonomics can benefit your facility.
If you're ready for a deeper dive into practical and specific ergonomics improvement activities, then keep on reading!
Step 1: Prioritize Jobs for Ergonomic Analysis
This prioritized list should be developed by the ergonomics team based on an initial facility tour, review of MSD history and data collected by employee surveys.
Step 2: Conduct Ergonomic Analysis
This analysis will objectively measure risk for each job in the workplace and help you develop an ergonomic opportunity list.
Step 3: Develop an Ergonomic Opportunity List
Developing an ergonomic opportunity list allows you to prioritize company resources in order to effectively and efficiently reduce risk by putting the appropriate controls in place.
Step 4: Determine Best Solution with Team Approach
A multi-disciplinary team should be involved in determining the best controls for implementation.
Step 5: Obtain Final Approval and Implement Solution
If the improvement requires a significant capital expenditure, cost-justify the solution to gain approval.
Step 6: Evaluate the Ergonomic Improvement
Once improvements are in place, close the loop on the project by evaluating the ergonomic improvement and measuring its effectiveness.
Other Helpful Ergonomics Tutorials:
- Understanding Ergonomics at Work
- How to Recognize Ergonomic Risk Factors
- Ergonomic Considerations - Head to Toe
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Job Rotation
- Proactive Ergonomics: Design with Ergonomics in Mind
Recent Workplace Ergonomics Articles
Nov04A 5-Step Checklist to Select the Right Ergonomics Consultant
Oct2815 Quick Tips for Selecting the Right Ergonomics Consultant
Oct21Understanding the Different Types of Ergonomics Consultants
Oct14Five Questions to Answer Before You Select an Ergonomics Consultant
Aug12The 5-Step Human Performance and Ergonomics Training Checklist
Workplace Ergonomics Resources
Download the free ergonomics tools of the trade we've made available on our website:
- Ergonomics Improvement Process Flowchart [PDF]
- Employee Ergonomics Survey
- Step-by-Step Guides to Our Recommended Ergonomic Assessment Tools
- The Ultimate Guide to MSD Prevention
- Office Ergonomics Checklist
For more workplace ergonomics articles and tutorials, sign up for the Ergonomics Plus monthly newsletter.
Enter your name and email address: